Unsearchable Riches in the Psalms

I recently returned from the Worship God 08 conference in Gaithersburg Maryland. The topic was "Discover Unsearchable Greatness in the Psalms." At the conference, Sovereign Grace Ministries released their newest album Psalms. You can download a free song "Praise the Lord" here.

I know I say this a lot, but this is quickly becoming my favorite album. :) My favorite by far is "
Out of the Depths" by Bob Kauflin (based on Psalm 130).

Of all the songs, the raw honesty is most visible here through lyrics like "though I may fail to trust Your promises, You never fail to hear my prayer" and "when the harvest time is over and I still see no fruit, I will wait for You."

I think one reason I like Sovereign Grace music so much is because of the genuine emotion that is expressed through the lyrics. It is not simply "be happy in Jesus." Rather, what is expressed is genuine Christianity - struggles and trials and sorrows, but a hope in the midst of those trials as a result of our Reedemer who is steadfast in love and faithfulness.

So often, I fail to connect doctrine with my real life. I fail to see the link between my emotions and the hope found in the gospel. The words on the page don't seem to be living. It is through songs like this that the dots begin to connect in a new and sweet way.

God, thank you for these songs. Thank you for the gift of words. Thank you for the dedication of Bob Kauflin and the other songwriters to write songs that help us to realize Your involvement in our daily lives. I pray that You would use my words, my thoughts of You to help connect others lives to Your unfathomable greatness.


Psalm 100: 4-5 Enter his gates with thanksgiving, and his courts with praise! Give thanks to him; bless his name! For the LORD is good; his steadfast love endures forever, and his faithfulness to all generations.